2022 Summer Research Trainee Program
The Summer Research Trainee Program (SRTP) is a program at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) that pairs students with an Mass General faculty preceptor to provide guidance and mentorship in a new or ongoing research project. The Mass General Center for Diversity and Inclusion founded the program in 1992 for students historically underrepresented in medicine (UiM)* who are interested in academic medicine and/or biomedical research.
Students are selected from a nationwide competition to participate in SRTP. Each student is assigned to a specific laboratory, clinical site, health policy, or health services research area where they undertake an original research project under the mentorship and guidance of a Mass General investigator. Assignments are carefully considered and are made with the student’s research and career interests in mind. In addition to this unique research experience, students will gain knowledge through weekly seminars at MGH, attend career development workshops and networking events, and have opportunities for clinical shadowing.
The student experience
- Workshops and seminars SRTP students attend didactic seminars, as well as an orientation that includes topics such as research and ethics, literature searches, and MGH procedures and resources.
- Virtual networking receptions and social events CDI coordinates social events for SRTP students to network with MGH residents, fellows, and faculty members.
- Student presentations Students prepare an oral presentation of their work at the completion of the eight-week program.
Student guidelines and procedures
In addition to the MGH General Guidelines, SRTP students must comply with the following during their participation in the program:
- Work on a research project with their assigned MGH preceptor(s).
- COVID 19 sign in every day
- Attend all SRTP seminars, workshops, and activities
- Complete all paperwork (human resources, immunization requirements, etc.) in a timely fashion
- Sign MassArt Housing Agreement, and abide by all policies and regulations in this contract
- Complete all SRTP assignments, including abstracts and Power Point presentations, as scheduled
- Conduct a final oral presentation regarding their research project
- Complete the SRTP exit survey